UK House Naming Guide

Guide for naming properties in the UK

How to name your home in the UK

Here's what you should do to add or change a house name for your property

Personalising your home by giving it a name is a relatively easy procedure although it is advisable to check with your Local Authority if there are any requirements for approval when the property is already numbered.

The general rule for naming your home is as follows: If your property has already been designated a number, you must always display the house number clearly within the boundary of the property and always use the house number in your address line. You can then also choose to use a house name that you like.  For example if your house number is 20 and you decide to name your house 'Rose Cottage', the address line should always be as follows:

House address plate convention

The Rule is different if your property already has an existing house name and NO allocated house number.     

If you wish to change the name of the property, permission must be sought from the Your Local Council first. - You will need to notify your local council of your intention of changing the house name in writing before you can use the new house name for your address.   

In the case of addresses where there is no number allocated, the registered house name forms part of the official address. - In this instance property owners wishing to change their property name should also put a request in writing to: Royal Mail Address Maintenance Unit, Sunderland, SR3 3XW,  Email: AND also their local Council's department responsible for street naming and numbering.  

The request should state your full name, the present full address of the property and state clearly the new preferred name. The property owner must contact the Royal Mail Address Maintenance Unit to see if the name is satisfactory, then the new address needs to be registered by the Royal Mail Address Maintenance Unit. If there is an issue with your preferred name, they will ask you choose an alternative name.  

It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts and relevant council services of any official change or addition to address. Various councils have different rules and procedures to change an existing house name, so it is wise to first check on your local council website about their procedures and regulations before you order a house sign with your new chosen house name.  

If a property in the local neighbourhood already has the same name that you have chosen, or if it sounds similar, you may not be able to use the house name because it could cause confusion to the post office, emergency personnel or council workers. - It is worthwhile just taking a walk around your local neighbourhood making notes of existing house names and thinking of several alternatives before applying to the Council. Some Councils charge a registration fee for their service and some don't.  

Most UK local councils have a web page showing their house naming and street numbering policy. To inquire with your local council use this link to an alphabetical list of LOCAL COUNCILS

popular house names in the UK

View our house signs